Commonly known as Shahi Hamam, the Wazir Khan Hamam was built by Sheikh Ilmuddin Ansari in 1634. The Hamam is the only surviving public bath from the Mughal era in Pakistan. The single-storey structure is spread over 1,110 square feet and was built using brick tiles and limestone cement. It contains the world’s largest Mughal fresco painting. The Hamam is located just inside the Delhi Gate. It was named Shahi Hamam because it was constructed by the Governor of Punjab. Otherwise, it was a facility meant for public. The building is a combination of Turkish and Persian style. It reminds one of the traditional Persian hamams which are still vogue in Iran. It is a single storey building with beautiful paintings and has three types of bathing facilities such as cold, hot and steam bath. All these facilities have been divided into separate sections. Massage and other similar facilities were also provided. The original paintings on the walls have lost their form and color at many places due to the negligence of the custodians of the building.
- Posted in