Tollinton market now, but a shadow of once remarkable structure , is locate to the east of the museum, across Public Library Road, was the exhibition hall. The first major exhibition of the produce and products of the province was held here in 1864. The original building, modeled after the prevalent bungalow design, utilized encircling verandahs with sloping tiled roofs supported on simple wooden posts.
The main exhibition hall, with a length of 112 Feet, rose above the verandah roof, its pitched roof with gable ends, sporting an array of dormer windows for bringing natural light into the hall. Two square towers rose 12 Feet above the roof of the main hall, supplementing the natural light entering the central section of the hall. After the transfer of the museum collection, the building was handed over to Lahore Municipal Committee. In the 1920s the building was remodeled as a market by the famous municipality engineer, Rai Bahadur Sir Ganga Ram, and became known as Tollinton Market, after H.P. Tollinton, Secretary Punjab Government.
Its recent rehabilitation and restoration, in view of the images available from publications such as The Illustrated London News, have been welcomed by conservationists.
- Posted in