The Lahore Railway Station was built by the British colonists. It had been designed by Chief Engineer William Brunton and constructed by Muhammad Sultan. The foundation stone of the station was laid by Lord John in 1859, and although the fort-like building had net been completed by the first train commuted on the new line between Lahore and Amritsar (in April 1862).
The Railway Station has eleven platforms (1 to 9, with 2 extra platforms, 3A and 6A). The Railway Station has got all the facilities which a big station like it must possess. One can see few food stalls, book agencies; drink corners, etc on every plat form. Some foreign restaurants (like McDonald’s and Pizza Hut) have their branches at platform No. 2. The Railway network established by the British was very extensive and is one their lasting contribution to the culture and infrastructure of the region.
- Posted in