Punjab University, Allama Iqbal Campus
University of the Punjab colloquially known as Punjab University is situated on the mall. The University of the Punjab was formally established with the convening of the first meeting of its senate on October 14, 1882 at Simla. It was the fourth university to be established by the British colonial authorities on the Indian subcontinent. (The first three universities were established by the British rulers at their initial strongholds of Calcutta, Bombay, and madras).
In 1903, the Lt. Governor Sir Charles Rivaz granted to the university, the land hitherto use by the Roberts’ Institute, upon the new university hall, was constructed in 1905. The building was designed by Bhai Ram Singh, who later in 1911 also designed the university library.
To cater the growing educational and literary needs, university established four campuses. Two campuses are situated in Lahore and 2 outside from the city. The main old campus names after the great south Asian thinker and mystic poet Allama Muhammad Iqbal and situated at the famous the mall, opposite of the Lahore museum. The building speaks aloud of oriental architectural design and is located in the middle of the bustling city of Lahore.
- Posted in