Government College University, Lahore as college, is older than any other College or University in Pakistan. Under the British Raj the college was opened on January 1, 1864 in a portion of Palace of Raja Dhyan Singh and moved to its present site in April 1871. The institution was affiliated with Calcutta University for examination. Along with the establishment of the college, Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner (professor of Arabic and Muhammedan Law at King’s College in London) was nominated as principal of college.
Government College received autonomous status; on September 9, 2002, it became a University. The present building is the oldest, elegant and beautiful educational seat in Pakistan, housed in an imposing Gothic building designed by W. Purdon. The construction was started in 1872 and completed in 1882. Its Quadrangle Iqbal Hostel was constructed in 1891 and carries immense historical importance. Late on it was renamed after the great Scholar & Poet , Allama Iqbal, who once resided in it.
It has its credit, the legacy of producing internationally reputed Scholar lik Allama Iqbal, Fiaz Ahmed Faiz, Ashfaq Ahmed, Noon Meem Rashid and Khushwant Singh, Dr. Hargobing Khurana, and various Scientist, Sportsmen, Politians, Artist and Bureaucrats of the world fame of modern era.
- Posted in