The General Post Office or GPO is one of the several buildings built by British, have been built in 1887 to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The GPO dominates one end of The Mall near Anarkali. It is the first British-period building in Lahore which has been restored. The GPO underscored the necessity of documentation and conservation of historic architecture in the city’s downtown area. During the mid-1970s, the original brick work of the GPO had been damaged the application of colour crating having destroyed its original features, resulting in an anonymous and no-descript prospect.
The main tower is located at the junction of the two wings and rises well above the corner towers as an enormous battered element. The tower is crowned by a large hemispherical dome, defined by buttress-like elements; it carries enormous clocks on four sides. The General Post Office reflects a mixture of European and Mughal styles. It is heritage monument and still the main post office in the city.
- Posted in