In the historic city of Lahore, on the road that led southward to Multan, the Chauburji gateway remains of an extensive garden known to have existed in Mughal times. The establishment of this garden is attributed to Mughal Princess Zeb-un-Nissa, 1646 A.D., which appears in one of the inscriptions on the gateway.
The gateway consists of four towers (chau: four, burji: tower) and contains much of the brilliant tile work with which the entire entrance was once covered. Its distinguishing features are the minarets which expand from the top, not present anywhere in the sub-continent. Arches are of the so-called ‘Tudor’ style, adapted to Islamic architecture, particularly in Mughal mausoleums and masjids. The red brick work is typical of the Muslim buildings of the sub-continent. The doorways and windows running through the interior corridors are example of the living style that characterized the Mughal buildings. However, the main purpose of building Chauburji appears to be strictly monumental.
- Posted in