The Badshahi Masji or the ‘Emperor’s Masjid’, was built in 1673 by the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir in Lahore under the supervision of Aurangzeb’s foster brother Muzaffar Hussain who was appointed governor of Lahore in may 1671 and held this post until 1675. The construction of the masjid took about two years from May 1671 to April 1673.
Like the character of its founder, the masjid is bold, vast and majestic in its expression. The interior has rich embellishment in stucco tracery (Manbatkari) and paneling with a fresco touch, all in bold relief, as well as marble inlay. The exterior is decorated with stone carving as well as marble inlay on red sandstone, especially of loti form motifs in bold relief.
The embellishment has indo-Greek, Central Asian and Indian architectural influence both in technique and motifs. Recently a small museum has also been added to masjid complex. It contain relics of Muhammad (Peach be Upon Him), his cousin Hazrat Ali (Razi Allah Anho) and his daughter, Hazrat Fatima tuz Zahra (Razi Allah Anha). It is capable of accommodating over 55,000 namazis, and is the second largest masjid in Pakistan, after the Faisal Masjid in Islamabad.
- Posted in